University Industry and University Society Partnership Research Unit
Established : Apr. 1, 2018
Today, society is increasingly demanding intellectual contributions from universities to address social problems, such as innovations to resolve societal issues, the construction of new societal systems, and international cooperation. Universities also are expected to cooperate more closely with society in honing this knowledge and enhancing educational research activity.
To expand cooperation between society and universities, reform is needed to reduce friction, widen the scope of, and improve the effectiveness of the interfaces between the two (including relevant organizations, rules, specialists, and methods), building on the first decade or so of experience of cooperation between industry and academia based on changes to national innovation systems around the world. However, there are currently no concrete strategies designed to achieve this. We therefore seek to establish a unit to undertake research relating to university-society cooperation and recommend strategies based on this research.
Main research topics include:
- The intellectual property rights system and cooperation between industry and academia
- Risk management relating to cooperation between industry, academia, and government
- Toshiya Watanabe (Vice Director and Professor, Policy Alternatives Research Institute / Professor, Department of Technology Management for Innovation, Graduate School of Engineering / Executive Director, Executive Vice President, the University of Tokyo)
- Norio Matsuki (Project Professor, Policy Alternatives Research Institute)
- Hideaki Shiroyama (Vice Director and Professor, Policy Alternatives Research Institute / Graduate School of Public Policy / Graduate Schools for Law and Politics)
- Ichiro Sakata (Professor, Policy Alternatives Research Institute / Professor, Graduate School of Engineering / Special Advisor to the President)
- Masahiro Sugiyama (Associate Professor, Policy Alternatives Research Institute)
- Masayuki Kobayashi (Professor, Center for Research and Development of Higher Education, the University of Tokyo)
- Masami Askutsu (Project Researcher, Policy Alternatives Research Institute)